Ireland 1916 Centenary
Drawing by Eoin in 3rd Class
LEADERS OF THE 1916 RISING
- Padraig was born in 1879 in Dublin.
- He had a great interest in the Irish language.
- He was teacher in an Irish speaking school called Scoil Eanna.
- He was also a barrister and a poet.
- At the start he just wanted to have Ireland own parliament but later on he decided he wanted full freedom.
- When the Rising was going on, he was over the GPO.
- It was him who declared the surrender on the Saturday of the Easter week.
- He was executed by a firing squad on 3rd of May 1916.
- James Connolly was born in Edinburgh in 1868.
- He was a trade union leader.
- He founded the Irish Citizen Army.
- He was also in charge of the GPO but got injured.
- During the Rising he was appointed Commandant-General of the Dublin Forces.
- He was executed on 12th May 1916.
- He was the last of the leaders to be executed.
- He was born in England in 1858.
- His father was a soldier in the British army.
- He was a shopkeeper but he was also an expert in dynamite.
- He was one of the leaders of the IRB.
- He was the first person to sign the proclamation.
- He was one of the people who occupied the GPO when the Rising was going on.
- He was then executed on the 3rd of May, 1916.
- Thomas MacDonagh was born in 1878 Tipperary.
- He almost became a priest but decided to become a teacher instead.
- He loves the Irish language and he was a poet as well.
- He met Padraig Pearce in the Gaeltacht as they both loved Irish.
- He also teaches in the same school as Padraig Pearce.
- He was appointed Director of training for the Irish volunteers in 1914.
- He was one of the commanders at Jacobs biscuit factory.
- He was executed on the 3rd of May 1916.
Sean Mac Diarmada
- He was born in Leitrim in 1884.
- He immigrated to Glasgow in 1900 and in 1902 he moved to Belfast.
- He loved Irish so he joined the Gaelic League.
- He Joined the IRB in 1906.
- He got a disease called polio in 1912.
- As he was in a high position in the IRB he was in the GPO when the rising was going on.
- He was executed on the 12th of May 1916.
- He was born in 1887 in Dublin.
- He was a son of a papal count and was educated in England and Ireland.
- He joined the Irish volunteers in 1913.
- He travelled to Germany with roger Casement in 1915.
- He joined the IRB in 1915.
- He was one of the rebels who were in the GPO.
- He married Gifford while in Kilmainham gaol.
- He was executed on the 4th of May 1916.
- He was born in Galway in 1881.
- He was a founder of the Irish Volunteers.
- He had an interest of the Irish culture and language.
- He was also a uileann piper.
- During the rising he was a commander of St James Hospital.
- He collected weapons in the successful Howth gun-running operation of 1914.
By Michael and Mathew, 6th Class